Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Qualifications for my book soulmate ;]

Although I have read and enjoyed many types of books varying in writing styles and genre, there are a few qualities I particularly admire. I believe that an exceptional writer has the ability to take something such as a documentation of their breakfast cereal and turn it into an interesting read, I like an action-packed read that will suck me right in! No matter how strong the plot, if you can’t connect to the characters the story is worthless. I don’t think I’m alone in that I want to be able to relate to the characters, so I feel their pain, joy or fear that is being expressed in the story. It is important to have a nice description of the setting, characters etc. but I don’t need a whole page explaining a pair of socks or something equally ridiculous. I think it’s best to keep the extra words, especially the adjectives, fairly minimal. Last but not least, I strongly appreciate comical breaks. I mean who doesn’t like to laugh? Especially in a dark or morbid book it’s great to giggle if for just a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment